Dancing with the sounds, rhyme and rhythm of words, Suzanne Olivante creates poetry, jokes and funny announcements for children. Mainly silly, seldom serious and sometimes absoloute nonsense! Occasionally she creates poems and jokes for the ‘gro-nups’ too.
Her work has been placed in competitions and published in anthologies.
- In 2017 the award winning Emma Press published Suzanne’s poem ‘The Hungry Galactic Plughole’ in ‘Watcher of the Skies – Poems About Space and Aliens’.
- ‘Now That I’m Headless’ was selected for the forthcoming Emma Press anthology, ‘The Head That Wears a Crown – Poems About Kings and Queens’, due to be published in 2018.
- ‘Hiding Under the Cover’ was shortlisted for the National Literacy Trust and Bloomsbury Children’s Books Poetry Prize in 2015.
- ‘Cerne Abbas Giant’ was shorlisted for the Flash 500 Humour Verse Competition (Third Quarter 2014). (Adult poem)
- ‘Fully Booked’ was a finalist in a competition for the Larkin Festival in Hull and published in ‘Toad Tales’ by Wrecking Ball Press (2014)
- ‘Wig-a-noo’ published in ‘50 Funny Poems for Children’ by Thynks Publications
- ‘Sarah’s Letter to Santa’ published in ‘Christmas Poems’ by United Press
- Poetry has also been published on the blog of children’s poet Brian Moses and also Michelle Barnes.
- ‘My Pongy Longs’ was awarded placed second in the International Plough Prize Poem for Children in 2010.
Suzanne was introduced to poetry at a young age and found inspiration in the works of Edward Lear, Dr. Seuss, C.S. Lewis and George MacDonald. As a fairly new poet on the block, she enjoys exploring different styles and writes in a variety of forms; the brevity of micropoetry, through to epic poems like ‘The Hungry Witch’s Brew’. She is a member of the Micro Poetry Society and Disability Arts Online.
Suzanne keeps a small collection of unusual stones (they all have names) and she finds that living at the seaside and wearing wellington boots, makes her feel very happy indeed.
To find out more and read examples of Suzanne’s published poetry, visit her website at: https://suzanneolivante.com
You can also follow her poetry adventures on Twitter @OlivantePoetry