Dancing with the sounds, rhyme and rhythm of words, Suzanne creates poetry, jokes and funny announcements for children. Mainly silly, seldom serious and sometimes absoloute nonsense! Occasionally she creates poems and jokes for the ‘gro-nups’ too.
Her work has been placed in competitions and published in anthologies. In 2017 the award winning Emma Press published Suzanne’s poem ‘The Hungry Galactic Plughole’ in ‘Watcher of the Skies – Poems About Space and Aliens’.
‘Now That I’m Headless’ has also been selected for the forthcoming Emma Press anthology, ‘The Head That Wears a Crown – Poems About Kings and Queens’ (2018).
She was placed second in the International Plough Prize Poem for Children in 2010 for ‘My Pongy Longs’ and was a finalist for the National Literacy Trust Poetry Prize in 2015, for ‘Hiding Under the Cover’.
Suzanne was introduced to poetry at a young age and found inspiration in the works of Edward Lear, Dr. Seuss, C.S. Lewis and George MacDonald. As a fairly new poet on the block, she enjoys exploring different styles and writes in a variety of forms; the brevity of micropoetry, through to epic poems like ‘The Hungry Witch’s Brew’. She is a member of the Micro Poetry Society.
Suzanne keeps a small collection of unusual stones (they all have names) and finds that living at the seaside and wearing wellington boots, makes her feel very happy indeed.
If you would like to find out more, here are
Suzanne’s poetry adventures so far…
- Membership of the Micro Poetry Society
- ‘Now That I’m Headless’ to be published in ‘The Head That Wears a Crown’ by the Emma Press in 2018. An anthology for children with poems and facts about kings and queens.
- Micro poem ‘Branch Lines’ selected for National Poetry Day 2016 by Family Arts Fest and National Archives UK (The official archive of the UK government)
- Publication of ‘The Hungry Galactic Plughole’ in ‘Watcher of the Skies’ in September 2016 by the Emma Press. An anthology of space and alien themed poems and facts for children.
- ‘Quilty Pleasure’ self published for Poem on Your Pillow Day 2016
- Finalist for the National Literacy Trust Poetry Prize 2015 for ‘Hiding Under the Cover’.
- Publication of ‘Sarah’s Letter to Santa’ in ‘Christmas Poems 2015’ (United Press)
- Finalist for the Toads Revisited Competition 2015 and publication of ‘Fully Booked’
in ‘Toad Tales’ (Wrecking Ball Press)
- 1st place award – for ‘How To Throw An Insult With Shakespearean Style’ – for the Tweetspeak Poetry animated GIF competition 2015
- Poem ‘Siren’ published in the Ditty of the Month Club May 2015 –
on Michelle H Barnes’ blog – a word play challenge, set by author and poet Nikki Grimes.
- ‘Waiting for Slug’ and ‘Gargantuan’ selected by one of Britain’s favourite children’s poets Brian Moses and published on the New Poems for Children page on Brian’s blog.
- Phoetry ‘Made of Pillows’ and ‘Duvet Dancing’ self published on Twitter for the 2015 Poem On Your Pillow Day international event
- Shortlisted in the Flash 500 Humour Verse Competition Third Quarter 2014 for ‘Cerne Abbas Giant’
- Runner-up placement – ’50 Funny Poems for Children’ (Thynks Publications) 2012 for ‘Wig-a-noo’
- 2nd place award in the International Plough Prize Poem for Children 2010 for ‘My Pongy-longs’
adventure to be continued…